Thursday, April 11, 2013

Elsevier is an honorable company...

Woodcut on the Death of Julius Caesar
Sometimes you need a play to understand the times we live in.  So, I present to you an excerpt from The Death of Open Access:

ANTONY:

Friends, Scholars, Countrymen, lend me your browser's window!
I have come to bury Open Access, not to praise it.
The evil that ideas do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their dismissal;
So let it be with Open Access.  The noble Elsevier
Hath told you Open Access was ambitious;
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Open Access answer'd it.
Here, under the leave of Elsevier and the rest-
For Elsevier is an honorable company;
So are they all, all honorable companies-
Come I to speak in Open Access' funeral.
It was my friend, faithful and just to me;
But Elsevier says it was ambitious,
And Elsevier is an honorable company.
It hath brought many articles home to Rome,
Whose ransoms did the general idea-coffers fill.
Did this in Open Access seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Open Access hath wept;
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Elsevier says it was ambitious,
And Elsevier is an honorable company.
You all did see that on the Internet
I thrice presented it with kingly paywall access,
Which it did thrice refuse.  Was this ambition?
Yet Elsevier says it was ambitious,
And Elsevier is an honorable company.
I do not speak to disprove what Elsevier spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love it once, not without cause;
What cause withholds you then to mourn for it?
O judgement, thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason.  Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Open Access,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment